On Observing Lent

When our kids were small, we began the tradition of observing Advent as a family. Neither Paul nor I grew up observing Advent or Lent, or celebrated things like Ash Wednesday. But a mentor friend of mine had given me a set of Jesse Tree ornaments, and a devotional guide for the Advent season to go along with it, and we began to do this every year for our children.

As we've returned to the US and found ourselves most at home in a Presbyterian church, we have been introduced to the celebrations of Lent and Ash Wednesday.  These were very unknown things to us a year ago, and I will always remember vividly my first Ash Wednesday service last year!  This year, I wanted to be much more intentional to embrace this season of anticipation. I'm learning a lot about and hope to grow through it these next six weeks, as well as lead my kids to some self-flection.

Here are some resources we'll be using to help us navigate this season as newbies:

I found this article that is a great run down of the significance of Ash Wednesday and why to celebrate it:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markdroberts/series/ash-wednesday-practice-and-meaning/

Then I ran across this Lent Project by Biola University.  They put together daily devotionals with Scripture readings, complete with art and music to listen to. You can see some of the previous Lent Projects from years past on their website, and subscribe to get an email daily during Lent this year.

http://ccca.biola.edu/lent/2017/

Lastly, I found this beautiful little book called Rich & Rooted Passover.  This is a guide for families, with Scripture to copy, hymns, small craft and art projects, and feasting recipes. As I've printed it this afternoon and look through it it looks lovely, and I'm really looking forward to going through it with my kids!

https://jennifernaraki.com/rich-rooted-passover/

In addition to this, I'm fasting from social media. It has been such a time sucker and distraction in my life. I'm dying to get off of it, and this is the motivation I needed. I've never fasted for Lent before, and since I'm not in a place with my health to do any physical fasting, this is the next best thing. I'm really looking forward to slowing down and giving my soul room to contemplate and reflect over the next few weeks.

May the Lord bless you and keep you through this season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commonplace Essays with Writing & Rhetoric

The Trivium: Grammar, Dialectic and Rhetoric

Picking Up Meryn!